|10 whole black peppercorns
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
5 cloves garlic
3 Tbs achiote paste
1 tsp dried Mexican oregano
2 bay leaves
1/3 C orange juice
3 Tbs lime juice
2 lbs. lean pork cut into 2 inch cubes
3 fresh banana chiles
1 sliced purple onion
String & Banana Leaves or Aluminum Foil
1. Place peppercorns & cumin seeds in grinder and process to a fine powder.
2. Combine the powder with the garlic in a blender/processor and puree.
3. Add to the puree the achiote paste, oregano, and orange/lime juice and blend well. Add bay leaves and stir (DO NOT puree bay leaves).
4. Pour this marinade over the pork cubes and marinade for at least 3 hours or overnight if possible.
5. Cut 2 pieces of string long enough to fit around a roasting pan.
6. Lay the strings on the bottom of the pan Cut the banana leaves in pieces to fit the pan and line the pan with them.
7. Place the pork, including the marinade [discard bay leaves] on top of the banana leaves. Top with chiles and onion
Fold the banana leaves over the meat and tie the strings.
If cannot find banana leaves, use foil.
8. Cover the pan and bake at 325F for 1.5 hours.
9. Serve with tortillas, refried beans and habanero salsa.